Skip to main content

HAIR!

You want to talk hair issues? I have hair issues. My congregants joke (?) that they never know from one shabbat to another what my hair is going to look like. My hair has been afro'd, perm'd, colored, shagged (you should excuse the expression), curled, straightened, Sinead-O'Connor'ed and Vidal-Sassoon'd.

At least twice I have gone into sobbing fits over a haircut, swearing that I looked like one of my late mother's old friends. When my daughter was born, one of the first things I noticed - other than how absolutely gorgeous she was - was the cowlick center part (MY c.c.p.) in her amazingly thick black hair. Oy.

I take hair - my hair - VERY seriously. A bad hair day can take me down. The older I get, the less cooperative and predictable my head mop becomes, the more obsessed I am. I iChat with my son in Korea and even as I kvell over his adorable self, I'm checking out the mess on the top of my head, with the internal voice shrieking that I look like Flat Top, the Dick Tracy villain. I figure I can't change my height, I'd like to not change my body size (outwards, at least), but I can change my hair.

For a woman (maybe for a man, too - ref. the John Edwards $400 haircut), hair is sexuality, health and ego. Women's hair is considered so sensual that Jewish Orthodox women cover their hair to preserve modesty after marriage with either a wig or a scarf/hat. Observant jewish men wear a kippah but it's not an issue of modesty but God respect. Look at pictures of Holocaust concentration/death camp women (and men, too): they were shaved bald. The Nazi death machine's excuse was to prevent lice ... the reality is that bald people lose their individuality and their strength (see: Samson). French women accused of collaborating with the Nazis were publicly humiliated by having their heads shaved.

While some women who have lost their hair to cancer treatment proudly display their baldness as a sign of strength, most can't wait for it to grow back, constantly praying that the texture is not too badly damaged in the process.


So when Carly Fiorina, the former HP executive-turned-California Republican Senator candidate, "forgot" that open mic's are the downfall of many a politician and chose to cattily take on the hair-style-de-jour of her opponent, Barbara Boxer, my hair and I just sighed. I mean, the same Carly Fiorina who had her own bad hair days when she experienced cancer treatment? Come on. But then I got annoyed.


Ms. Fiorina's so-called "gaffe" (that's the label most MSM outlets are calling it) speaks volumes (nice hair-product phrase, no?) about much more than just beauty-salon nonsense. In 20 seconds or so, Ms. Fiorina ably destroyed a bit of the credibility she had built up as a semi-successful businesswoman and political candidate.


Where to begin?


1. The Joan-Collins-takes-down-Linda-Evans angle (or this, if you need a real laugh). As mentioned above, Ms. Fiorina may have lived a charmed life in the executive suite, where it's assumed, Omorosa-Bethenny Frankel-style, that women throw sheets of glass ceiling at each other. But this is politics, and women have had enough problems cutting through plexiglass walls (this assumes that glass is easier to shatter, but please don't quote me - I'm a cantor, not a physical scientist). Guys LOVE this kind of bitchiness; it reinforces the Neanderthal POV that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution should be overturned. It brings up lovely (bleah) memories of the (in)famous Thanksgiving wrestling gravy match.

More important - from my perspective as a cantor - is ...

2. The gossip angle. You want to engage in lashon ha-ra? There's consequences, especially when you think you're such hot stuff and teflon that you forget yourself and do it live. Before a TV interview. At an open microphone. And the excuse that she was just passing on info from a friend? Hello? It's still gossip. And it's still ugly. And passing the buck just makes her sound like a mean teenager. I guess she forgot the saying that if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your trap.

Honestly, there's going to be enough mud slinging in the next election. Too bad it has to come from someone who should know better.

I feel better now. Off to shampoo, condition and try to make peace with my tresses. Oh, and what do I think about Barbara Boxer's hair? Whatever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Bigotry No Sancton? Hardly.

This is a sad day for the American dream.  North Carolina voters approved an amendment banning same-sex marriages, partnerships, and civil unions on Tuesday. It joins an infamous assortment of 30 states - and the last in the South - to add this prohibition to their state constitutions. The vote wasn't even close: an overwhelming 80% of voters publicly pronounced their bigotry. Yes, BIGOTRY. There is simply no other word for it, despite the sanctimonious wrapping of opinions in their version of the Bible.  The obscenity is that the bigots invoke "God" and Newspeak simultaneously to proclaim the sanctity of their position.  According to the New York Times , '“We are not anti-gay — we are pro-marriage,” Tami Fitzgerald, chairwoman of the executive committee for the pro-amendment Vote for Marriage NC, said at a victory rally in Raleigh, where supporters ate pieces of a wedding cake topped by figures of a man and a woman. “And the point, the whole point is simpl

The Words of a Tragedy

Words matter. If they didn't, if there were no consequences to our utterances - good and bad - Jewish literature would not be chockablock with cautionary tales from Talmud to midrash to watch what we say. Those stories of the rabbi and the feather pillow and the broken mirror did not come out of a vacuum; they were written for a reason. Let's be honest: politicians love rhetoric and television/radio pundits need inflammatory language the way an active alcoholic needs booze. No political party has been innocent, yet the right wing has taken the cake lately. An American president accused of not being an American, "don't retreat, reload," the "2nd amendment remedies," Nazi, Hitler (briefly abused by the left against VP Cheney but taken to the nth degree by Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and others), death panels, a Sarah Palin map of the US with gun cross hair sights over names and places of politicians who were on a political hit list and a politician hosting an

Omer Day 1: Just enough

(graphic:  https://www.pinterest.com/serenityinhim/new-love3/ ) "With the mitzvah of counting the 49 days, known as Sefirat Ha'Omer, the Torah invites us on a journey into the human psyche, into the soul. There are seven basic emotions that make up the spectrum of human experience. At the root of all forms of enslavement, is a distortion of these emotions. Each of the seven weeks between Passover and Shavuot is dedicated to examining and refining one of them. The seven emotional attributes are: 1. Chesed - Loving-kindness 2. Gevurah - Justice and discipline 3. Tiferet - Harmony/compassion 4. Netzach - Endurance 5. Hod - Humility 6. Yesod - Bonding 7. Malchut - Sovereignty, leadership" Daily Omer Meditation Over the next 49 days, I'm going to post a meditation from some source or another (perhaps myself) with my reactions/responses. Please feel free to share (with attribution, please), comment, and otherwise join me on the 49-day spiritual journey to