Skip to main content

The Egg


Alert the media: I just ate an egg for breakfast.

This earthshaking move was seismic in several ways.

I'm always concerned with cholesterol; at my age, who isn't? So for the past lots of years, I've been choosing egg whites or egg substitute. I like those things because in addition to appearing virtuously healthy, I seem to get more product-size bang for the calorie/Weight Watcher point buck.

So why an egg?

For one thing, my nutritionist friend keeps screwing up her face in one of those "I don't get it" looks when I tell her that I don't do eggs. She insists that studies show that eggs - eaten in moderation - do NOT raise the nasty cholesterol levels. She assures me that the higher fat/calorie/ww points in one egg is more than made up for by the satiety and nutrition that the real deal offers compared to the things that get lost in the translation. Oh, yes - and quite frankly, a real egg tastes better than the substitute, not to mention that there ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.

But the main reason I chose an egg over eggbeaters this morning is that even someone like me - who craves order and fears the unknown, especially in their food - needs to mix it up periodically.

So I pull out one oval from the little 6-pack in the fridge, spritz the spray stuff onto the pan, heat it up and let 'er rip.

My observations:

1. No matter how you cook it (I went for over easy), one real egg covers less space in the pan than the substitute.

2. There's a reason that making an egg is considered one of the tests-par-excellence for chefs. In cooking, I tend to be less interested in perfection than I am in shortcutting - and real eggs cannot be handled that way. Cooking the substitutes a few seconds longer doesn't change the eventual taste (which I admit is a bit anemic); cooking an egg too long gets you the equivalent of a rubber sole. Or a rubber soul.

2a. I found myself hovering like a heli-mom over the frying pan, lest my egg come out looking and feeing like one of those fake eggs teachers keep in their classrooms to teach about nutrition.

3. OK - fine - this was one mighty good tasting product - and yes, it tasted better and more satisfying than the substitutes. Add a Vitalicious muffin top and a cup of my husband's yummy fresh coffee, and all in all, it really tasted good.

4. Time. I'm usually pretty hungry by the time I eat breakfast, so I scarf down my concoction of egg substitute fried up w/spray stuff with some salsa added. But this morning - knowing that there was one non-ostrich-sized egg, I deliberately took my time to eat, cutting off and chewing and savoring each bite carefully.

5. Back to the taste: while I'm not going to buy shares in the egg board, nor am I going to be singing the "incredible, edible egg" jingle all day, it tasted really good, fresh, *real.*

Thus ends today's food challenge. I'll be back to the boxed stuff tomorrow or the next day, but I claim my gold medal for taking a risk.

Have an eggy-licious day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Bigotry No Sancton? Hardly.

This is a sad day for the American dream.  North Carolina voters approved an amendment banning same-sex marriages, partnerships, and civil unions on Tuesday. It joins an infamous assortment of 30 states - and the last in the South - to add this prohibition to their state constitutions. The vote wasn't even close: an overwhelming 80% of voters publicly pronounced their bigotry. Yes, BIGOTRY. There is simply no other word for it, despite the sanctimonious wrapping of opinions in their version of the Bible.  The obscenity is that the bigots invoke "God" and Newspeak simultaneously to proclaim the sanctity of their position.  According to the New York Times , '“We are not anti-gay — we are pro-marriage,” Tami Fitzgerald, chairwoman of the executive committee for the pro-amendment Vote for Marriage NC, said at a victory rally in Raleigh, where supporters ate pieces of a wedding cake topped by figures of a man and a woman. “And the point, the whole point is simpl

The Words of a Tragedy

Words matter. If they didn't, if there were no consequences to our utterances - good and bad - Jewish literature would not be chockablock with cautionary tales from Talmud to midrash to watch what we say. Those stories of the rabbi and the feather pillow and the broken mirror did not come out of a vacuum; they were written for a reason. Let's be honest: politicians love rhetoric and television/radio pundits need inflammatory language the way an active alcoholic needs booze. No political party has been innocent, yet the right wing has taken the cake lately. An American president accused of not being an American, "don't retreat, reload," the "2nd amendment remedies," Nazi, Hitler (briefly abused by the left against VP Cheney but taken to the nth degree by Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and others), death panels, a Sarah Palin map of the US with gun cross hair sights over names and places of politicians who were on a political hit list and a politician hosting an

Omer Day 1: Just enough

(graphic:  https://www.pinterest.com/serenityinhim/new-love3/ ) "With the mitzvah of counting the 49 days, known as Sefirat Ha'Omer, the Torah invites us on a journey into the human psyche, into the soul. There are seven basic emotions that make up the spectrum of human experience. At the root of all forms of enslavement, is a distortion of these emotions. Each of the seven weeks between Passover and Shavuot is dedicated to examining and refining one of them. The seven emotional attributes are: 1. Chesed - Loving-kindness 2. Gevurah - Justice and discipline 3. Tiferet - Harmony/compassion 4. Netzach - Endurance 5. Hod - Humility 6. Yesod - Bonding 7. Malchut - Sovereignty, leadership" Daily Omer Meditation Over the next 49 days, I'm going to post a meditation from some source or another (perhaps myself) with my reactions/responses. Please feel free to share (with attribution, please), comment, and otherwise join me on the 49-day spiritual journey to