Skip to main content

I Was There


This was my bulletin article for April 2012. 

We learn in the Haggadah: B’chol dor va-dor ... in every generation each of us must feel as though we were personally taken out of Egypt. I was in Egypt; I know what it is to be a stranger in a foreign land. I was there; I remember.

I hear women spoken about in harsh, denigrating and abusive language. I read about Israeli women’s faces being edited out of photographs or being forced to sit in buses segregated by gender (lest men not be able to control their urges). I am aware of health care and judicial disparities in the US and around the world based on gender. And I speak up because I know what it felt like to stand with Miriam and the women at the Sea of Reeds, loudly proclaiming God’s praise, refusing to take a back seat to Moses and the men. I was there; I remember.

When my beloved Israel is threatened existentially by evil regimes whose stated vows are the destruction of my Jewish homeland, I speak out. When I hear anti-Semitism in the carefully couched words of those who support boycotts, divestments and sanctions against Israel, I speak out. I was in Tel Aviv on the 5th of Iyar 5708, May 14th, 1948, the day of Israel’s independence. I was there; I remember.

I support unions because I remember the working conditions at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory on March 25, 1911, the day unsafe working conditions caused the the factory to burn, causing the deaths of 146 garment workers, most of whom were recent Jewish and Italian immigrant women aged sixteen to twenty-three. There is still a lot to be done to safeguard workers’ conditions, and I speak out because I was there. I remember.

I hear American politicians one-up each other about how their religious beliefs should be the basis of American laws. I read about the people whose lives are threatened around the world because religious majorities declare their versions of religion to be the only true ones. When American communities try to outlaw Jewish ritual circumcision for boys, I speak out. I hear and see, and I remember the Inquisition. I was there; I remember.

I hear the right to voice political opinions descend into libel, slander and hate-filled rhetoric, all for the sake of advertising dollars. I speak out because so few people were willing to do so on my behalf back in the day. I was with Esther in Shushan. I was there; I remember.

When politicians rant about the supposed elitism of college-educated people who want that same opportunity for future generations, I remember the time not so long ago when Jews were denied entry into American colleges helped create a public college system in New York City that allowed me to receive a high-quality college education at an affordable cost. I was there; I remember.

B’chol dor va-dor ... It has been thousands of years, and I still believe that I was personally taken out of Egypt.

May this Passover be a year of personal liberation from Egypt for you and your loved ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elul 21: The airline safety guide (Love)

You shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am Adonai. (Lev. 19:18)

You shall love the stranger that dwells with you (who will be for you like the native-born among you), as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am Adonai, your God. (Lev. 19:34)

And you shall love Adonai your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might ... (Deut. 6:5)

If you've paid attention to your flight attendant, you know that in the event of an emergency, you put your own oxygen mask on first. Only then do you help someone next to you, including a child. Why? Because if you don't have oxygen, you're useless to anyone else.

It's the same with love.

Start by loving and caring for yourself. It's not selfish; it's just a place to start.

Then move outward: your neighbor, your community, the strangers around you.

Then, finally, the realm of God: the spiritual love that holds all the others together.

But it all starts in your own home.


Erev Rosh Hashanah 5777: WAIT

I got the best advice from my son: "Mom, why are you even engaging with these people? Please stop."

I've got people on Facebook who - while holding similar philosophies in some areas - are 180 degrees from me politically. I long ago determined that arguing with these people is counterproductive, only useful if I believe - science notwithstanding - that heartrate-raising arguments is equal to a good cardio workout.

And so my goal for today is to WAIT (by the way, not an original concept - I learned it from Rabbi Andy Sklarz): Why Am I Talking?

Provocateurs and bullies want to be engaged. They poke, someone responds, and the game is afoot. Like fire, they need constant air renewal. So if don't engage, don't respond, they will run out of air.

So for today, I grit my teeth ... and wait.


Elul 7: Choice - God, the Restaurant, and Malbec

Choices are good.
Choices are terrifying.
Choices are God's way of saying, "Hey, human, trust Me; you and I got this, and don't worry, there's no choice that can't be undone."

I'm a holy terror in a restaurant. I eyeball and dissect every possibility. I'm usually the last to order so I can see what everyone else ordered because obviously their choices are going to be better than mine. I torture myself and the wait staff: suppose I order this (and I don't like it) or that (and someone gets something better)? What if I daringly order a house-special cocktail and I really hate it instead of going with something safe, like a glass of Malbec?

Now take that food-ordering mentality and make it macro.

What if I mess up? What if I make the wrong decision? What if I disappoint myself and someone else? What if I make a choice and people stop loving me or leave me?

Here's the beautiful thing about having a relationship with the Holy One of Blessing: Unle…