Skip to main content

Got a peeve? No problem.

No, I didn't ask if you had a problem. I said, "thank you."

When did "you're welcome" go extinct? I know that in some other cultures, the response to "thank you" may be the equivalent of "no problem" (i.e, ein davar - it's nothing ... in Hebrew; de nada - it was nothing ... in Spanish).

But when I say thank you to someone, I don't want to know that you potentially had a problem with what I asked for or what you offered to do. It sounds as though the person I'm thanking would NOT have done the action if it had been a problem.

Sometimes I'm tempted to respond "well, excuuuse me for asking."

And while we're on the subject of thank you/you're welcome - I really get annoyed when I say "thank you" to someone - and the person responds, "thank YOU." It's a one-upmanship that drives me nuts. I hear this a lot on talk radio - from the intellectuals on NPR to the screechers on the other radio talk shows. At the end of a segment, the host will say to the guest, "thank you for coming on;" and invariably the guest says, "thank YOU."

It's the contemporary equivalent of the way Wikipedia describes the old Alphonse/Gaston routine:

<<"After you, Alphonse.", "No, you first, my dear Gaston!" entertained readers for more than a decade. Alphonse was tall and grotesque; Gaston was short and grotesque. The premise of their strip was that they were both extremely polite, constantly bowing to each other and deferring to each other. Neither could ever do anything or go anywhere because each insisted on letting the other precede him.>>

Everyone is so polite that they don't realize how rude it is.

Just say thank you, get it over with.

No problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elul 21: The airline safety guide (Love)

You shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am Adonai. (Lev. 19:18)

You shall love the stranger that dwells with you (who will be for you like the native-born among you), as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am Adonai, your God. (Lev. 19:34)

And you shall love Adonai your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might ... (Deut. 6:5)

If you've paid attention to your flight attendant, you know that in the event of an emergency, you put your own oxygen mask on first. Only then do you help someone next to you, including a child. Why? Because if you don't have oxygen, you're useless to anyone else.

It's the same with love.

Start by loving and caring for yourself. It's not selfish; it's just a place to start.

Then move outward: your neighbor, your community, the strangers around you.

Then, finally, the realm of God: the spiritual love that holds all the others together.

But it all starts in your own home.


Erev Rosh Hashanah 5777: WAIT

I got the best advice from my son: "Mom, why are you even engaging with these people? Please stop."

I've got people on Facebook who - while holding similar philosophies in some areas - are 180 degrees from me politically. I long ago determined that arguing with these people is counterproductive, only useful if I believe - science notwithstanding - that heartrate-raising arguments is equal to a good cardio workout.

And so my goal for today is to WAIT (by the way, not an original concept - I learned it from Rabbi Andy Sklarz): Why Am I Talking?

Provocateurs and bullies want to be engaged. They poke, someone responds, and the game is afoot. Like fire, they need constant air renewal. So if don't engage, don't respond, they will run out of air.

So for today, I grit my teeth ... and wait.


Elul 7: Choice - God, the Restaurant, and Malbec

Choices are good.
Choices are terrifying.
Choices are God's way of saying, "Hey, human, trust Me; you and I got this, and don't worry, there's no choice that can't be undone."

I'm a holy terror in a restaurant. I eyeball and dissect every possibility. I'm usually the last to order so I can see what everyone else ordered because obviously their choices are going to be better than mine. I torture myself and the wait staff: suppose I order this (and I don't like it) or that (and someone gets something better)? What if I daringly order a house-special cocktail and I really hate it instead of going with something safe, like a glass of Malbec?

Now take that food-ordering mentality and make it macro.

What if I mess up? What if I make the wrong decision? What if I disappoint myself and someone else? What if I make a choice and people stop loving me or leave me?

Here's the beautiful thing about having a relationship with the Holy One of Blessing: Unle…