Skip to main content

The 1966 Car Chase

It wasn't Proust's famous madeleine. It certainly didn't evoke sweetness. My stomach churned, and I still feel nauseated and shaken. 

"NEW MILFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut State Police say a 32-year-old man avoided a trooper's gunfire during a chase through several towns that ended with a crash and his arrest." (Friday, July 17, 2015)

Flashback to a Brooklyn December Sunday afternoon in 1966. Bear in mind, the memories are from a child's point of view, so distortions are freely disclaimed. 

In 1966 my grandmother lived with my parents (z"l), my sister, and me in our row house in Brooklyn. I was a kid, and she and I shared a bedroom (something I resented in typical pre-teen fashion - I'm letting you know so you know I'm no paradigm of perfect grandchild).

May 1955
Annie Angelson was born in Russia in 1878, and in my memory, she was always an old lady. I remember her as very small, very cuddly, very old-world'ish - which made sense because she had emigrated from Russia in the early 1900's - and very superstitious. 

She was also incredibly sad. Her middle child, Jack, had died at a way too young age from cancer; her husband, my grandfather Max, had died two years earlier; and now she was stuck living with her daughter's family in the home she and Max had purchased. 

(A brief detour - story to be continued in a future post - takes Max and Annie from Brooklyn to Lake Owassa, NJ, until 1964.)

Anyway - Max had died, and Annie moved in with us. Annie hated it there. She spent her days sitting in a chair in the dining room, alternately crying, watching television, eating candy ("gumming," really since she had no teeth), and emotionally torturing the women who were hired as my parents' housekeepers. One anecdote: she kept insisting to one woman, a Polish lady, that the "Papa" - the Pope - had died, causing the poor woman to break out in hysterical tears. 

Her only happiness seemed to be the Sundays she spent at my nearby aunt and uncle's house (my mother's older brother). He picked her up in the morning and drove her home after dinner in the late afternoon/early evening. 

But this Sunday in December was different: they never made it back to my house. 

A kid - the son of some political bigwig New York somebody - stole a car somewhere, the police chased him all the way through Brooklyn, and he finally stopped after crashing sideways into my uncle's car. My grandmother was killed outright; my uncle spent the next months in and out of hospitals recovering from his life-threatening wounds. The kid's punishment is vague; all I remember is my mother's bitterness that he got off with the proverbial slap on the wrist because of his family's connections. 

[Aside: Being the ever-selfish pre-teen that I was, the accident was all my fault because I hadn't said, "Drive safely" when she and my uncle left the house that morning. Not too self-centered and control freakish, right? The bottom line is that I spent almost 30 years in a spiritually wounded state. More to come about this, too. See what happens when Pandora's box gets opened?]

That's important, though, because while I am intensely grateful to have grown up and pretty much left magical thinking behind,  here I am almost 50 years later, feeling ill after reading about a police chasing a driver for almost 29 MILES because the guy had been speeding. A later report described how the perp assaulted police and, the very next day, tried to commandeer a police cruiser while he was being taken out of a hospital; clearly this guy is no saint and deserves to have the proverbial book thrown at him. But to high-speed chase someone across town lines, on a highway, risking civilian and police lives? The only police chases that come to relatively happy endings are on television and in movies, and even there - well, the record's pretty spotty. In real life, these things usually end quite badly, even if the police do get their guy. 

So much for the joyful memories of a madeleine.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elul 21: The airline safety guide (Love)

You shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am Adonai. (Lev. 19:18)

You shall love the stranger that dwells with you (who will be for you like the native-born among you), as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am Adonai, your God. (Lev. 19:34)

And you shall love Adonai your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might ... (Deut. 6:5)

If you've paid attention to your flight attendant, you know that in the event of an emergency, you put your own oxygen mask on first. Only then do you help someone next to you, including a child. Why? Because if you don't have oxygen, you're useless to anyone else.

It's the same with love.

Start by loving and caring for yourself. It's not selfish; it's just a place to start.

Then move outward: your neighbor, your community, the strangers around you.

Then, finally, the realm of God: the spiritual love that holds all the others together.

But it all starts in your own home.


Erev Rosh Hashanah 5777: WAIT

I got the best advice from my son: "Mom, why are you even engaging with these people? Please stop."

I've got people on Facebook who - while holding similar philosophies in some areas - are 180 degrees from me politically. I long ago determined that arguing with these people is counterproductive, only useful if I believe - science notwithstanding - that heartrate-raising arguments is equal to a good cardio workout.

And so my goal for today is to WAIT (by the way, not an original concept - I learned it from Rabbi Andy Sklarz): Why Am I Talking?

Provocateurs and bullies want to be engaged. They poke, someone responds, and the game is afoot. Like fire, they need constant air renewal. So if don't engage, don't respond, they will run out of air.

So for today, I grit my teeth ... and wait.


Elul 7: Choice - God, the Restaurant, and Malbec

Choices are good.
Choices are terrifying.
Choices are God's way of saying, "Hey, human, trust Me; you and I got this, and don't worry, there's no choice that can't be undone."

I'm a holy terror in a restaurant. I eyeball and dissect every possibility. I'm usually the last to order so I can see what everyone else ordered because obviously their choices are going to be better than mine. I torture myself and the wait staff: suppose I order this (and I don't like it) or that (and someone gets something better)? What if I daringly order a house-special cocktail and I really hate it instead of going with something safe, like a glass of Malbec?

Now take that food-ordering mentality and make it macro.

What if I mess up? What if I make the wrong decision? What if I disappoint myself and someone else? What if I make a choice and people stop loving me or leave me?

Here's the beautiful thing about having a relationship with the Holy One of Blessing: Unle…